Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ode to Dr. Garrigo









This post is dedicated to Dr. Jose Ramon Garrigo II, or as I knew him, "Joshe", my deceased brother in law. Unfortunately, he met an untimely death last May at the age of 48.

Joshe was one of the top pulmonologist in America and was a master of his craft. He and I shared not only commonality in music (Stones, The Who, U2, 80's,etc.) but in sports (UM Hurricanes), as well as other issues.

As an Aquarius, his birthday was two days after mine, on the 15th.

Joshe, or "Sledge", his nickname, in regards to the great Peter Gabriel song (Gabriel was born on my birthday) , was invariably the life of the party but also a man who undertook his calling and responsibilities like no other.

He left two fine sons, my nephews, Daniel Joseph, and Gabriel Faustino...who perpetuate his legacy & tradition, without fault, in the aforementioned areas.

Every New Years Day, after a night of hardy reveling, we always awoke to U2's classic hit and carried on the year.

Joshe, my brother in arms, you are gone but NEVER forgotten and your spirit is enmeshed in all of us who loved you.

God Bless you, buddy, and one day soon we will be reunited in Heaven!!!

Long Live Joshe!
Long Live Keith Richards!
Long Live Bono!

Go CANESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS





4 comments:

robert verdi said...

Very decent of you and I wish you and your family support.

Carlos Echevarria said...

Thanks Robert, an emotional day but I posted it because of his kids, especially the youngest, who is really affected...

Roberto Allen said...

Hi, Carlos. I don't know you, but I knew Joshe when he was much younger. He was a good friend and contemporary of my brother Carlos Allen. His brother Jordi and I are the same age and have been friends also since we were kids. Our moms were very good friends. I hadn't seen Joshe in about 25 years before he passed away. I still remember being in shock when I heard the news, and my brother Carlos was deeply affected. My heart goes out to you and your family, and especially Joshe's kids. I lost my dad when I was 7, so I know first hand what they are going through.

Un abrazo,
Robert Allen, frind for life of the Garrigos

Carlos Echevarria said...

Hello Roberto,

Joshe was my brother in law, till my sister Maylen divorced him.

Do you still speak to Jordi? He is living in his deceased grandmother's apartment in Brickell.

I attended some UM games in the 90s, with your brother, at the Orange Bowl and his son.

I utterly appreciate your kind words and sharing with me your life story, as well.

Do you live in Miami?

Take care and best regards.

Carlos Echevarria