Saturday, August 29, 2009

In Memoriam-Sen. Edward M. Kennedy



Song of Mary


"Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be [done] to me according to Thy word"

The Magnificat - The Canticle of Mary:

My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich He has sent empty away.

He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Scripture text: Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition
Source: Women for Faith & Family

Magnificat:

The Magnificat is the hymn chanted by the Blessed Virgin in thanksgiving for the privilege of becoming the Mother of God and for God's goodness in redeeming mankind. To understand this prayer more perfectly, it would help if we visualized ourselves present at the great hour in which it was first uttered. Mary had received the message from an angel that she was to be the Mother of the Son of God.

She cannot fully understand that great grace and has no one to whom she can pour out her bursting heart. She goes into the hill country of Judea to visit her cousin Elizabeth, who was favored with a somewhat similar blessing. Divinely enlightened, Elizabeth greeted and received Mary as the Mother of her God. Now Mary can no longer restrain the lofty emotions within her soul; she gives vent to a heart overflowing with gratitude.

She prays the Magnificat. She thanks God for the great dignity that has come to her and for the redemption that it brings to men.

The Magnifcat very early found its place in the liturgy; already in the fourth century it formed part of the Office, and one tradition credits St. Benedict for having introduced it into Vespers:

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:

He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich He has sent empty away.

He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

Scripture text: Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition

Magnificat anima mea Dominum; Et exultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo, Quia respexit humilitatem ancillae suae; ecce enim ex hoc beatam me dicent omnes generationes. Quia fecit mihi magna qui potens est, et sanctum nomen ejus, Et misericordia ejus a progenie in progenies timentibus eum. Fecit potentiam brachio suo; Dispersit superbos mente cordis sui. Deposuit potentes de sede, et exaltavit humiles. Esurientes implevit bonis, et divites dimisit inanes. Sucepit Israel, puerum suum, recordatus misericordiae suae, Sicut locutus est ad patres nostros, Abraham et semeni ejus in saecula.

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Magnificat Prayer Card:

My soul doth magnify the Lord:
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my
Saviour.
Because He hath regarded the lowliness of
His handmaid.

For, behold, from henceforth all generations
shall call me blessed.
For He that is mighty, hath done great
things to me, and holy is His Name.
And his mercy is from generation unto
generations, to them that fear Him.

He hath showed might with His arm.
He hath scattered the proud in the
conceit of their heart.
He hath put down the mighty from
their seat, and hath exalted the lowly.

He hath filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich he hath sent away empty.
He hath received Israel His servant,
being mindful of His mercy:

As He spoke to our fathers, to
Abraham and to his seed forever.
To pay your respects to Senator Edward Moore Kennedy, on his tribute site, click here.

2 comments:

midnight rider said...

For a man whose politics and personal life I'd bet you'd take issue with this was a very kind post. I'm glad you did this.

For all the bashing going on elsewhere I just couldn't bring myself to do that, no matter how much I despised him.

You're a class act, Carlos. Truly a class act.

Carlos Echevarria said...

First, I am sorry for the belated response....

I truly appreciate your kind words and outreach, during the Friday ceremony at the JFK Library someone stated he loved the Magnificat, so I placed it in honor of his soul,whose repose I prayed for.

Believe me, on FB I received some hits for this.

I will let God and St Peter judge him and I know for sure I will be judged for many things I am ashamed of...

As I fellow Roman Catholic, I realize you comprehend and I am in agreement with you in terms of his politics, his agenda, his outreach to the KGB during the Reagan era, etc...

But that wasn't the issue at hand for me, let him have his burial mass and cermony.

Again, I am at a loss of words to convey my gratitude towards you....best regards